FaceBook Like

Monday, March 18, 2013

Finding Your Edge


“If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.”― Stephen Hunt


Some of you may know that I practice yoga regularly.  In yoga, we often speak about finding our edge.  We mean to find “that place where you are challenged, but successful”.  In making art, I find it necessary to find my edge.  It is essential to my creative process to experiment and  push myself out of my comfort zone.  Sometimes this is in little ways.  For example using a color that I don't often work with or trying a texture tool that I haven't used before.  Experimentation may involve something bigger such as working on a large surface, a slick surface or trying a design I have never used before.

Radishes -  mixed media on panel 6x6
In my painting, Radishes I am painting on a surface that I have not used before.  This is a wood panel that is cradled, meaning that it does not need to be framed and is ready to hang as is.  I often paint with watercolor on a surface that has been coated in acrylic gesso.  A friend saw one of my paintings and showed me this new surface that she was using for her oil paintings.  I had been looking for a very smooth surface to use with my abstracts.  I really loved painting these radishes and will be painting at least 3 more of these 6x6 cradled panels.  I know that in my last post I indicated that I would post some photos of this painting in process, but I just get so into the painting that I forget to stop and take pictures. They are gessoed and ready for a subject.  This painting is $75.00; contact me at lauragibbs@lauragibbs-studio.com to purchase.


Have a great day!


1 comment:

Adele said...

Whoo Hoo. Nice post Laura. and nice painting. I use cradled wood all the time with acrylic. I love it.